Monday, January 30, 2006

SPOUSE ABUSE ala US Special Forces,Fort Bragg NC

Spouse Abuse in the military. We have heard all the stories, we have read about a few incidents that ultimatley ended in murder.( http://nccafv.org/Fort_Bragg_wife_killings.htm )Some people were shocked. Some were outraged. And some were not surprised at all. I was one of those who was not the least bit surprised. Why not?? Because I was one of "those" wives. And no matter how much the US Army or the Special Forces command may protest, they have different standards when dealing with Spouse/domestic abuse. And ultimatly it is up to the abusers "chain of command" as to how these people are punished, or in my case, NOT punished. It makes no difference that the powers that be have taken so much time in writing SOPs(standard operating procedures) addressing spouse abuse, and working to so hard to convince the "public" that the military takes this issue very seriously. For a victim, we all realize that this is a wash. The first thing that happens when an incident hits the military police blotter is that the chain of command speaks to the soldier. Since it is the commands job to support the soldier, they usually never speak to the abused spouse. They accept the soldiers excuse as if it were written in gold. And will support this soldier, even if they have doubts, or are fully aware this soldier has some abusive tendacies. This behavior is more prevalent within the Special Forces Community. The next step, especially if children are in the home, is that the military post, Social Work Services are contacted. Depending on the allegations, it is up to them whether they contact the local county DSS/Child Protective Services. They usually suggest therapy with them,(a waste of time) , anger management classes, parenting classes. Basically this is pretty much a waste if one is working to make changes. Alot of mouth service, and thus the soldier becomes educated on how to sound more in "control" and less guilty. The majority of the soldiers are male, and usually these group therapy sessions turn into a wife bashing free for all. If the abused spouse wants to push it, and wants the soldier to be charged, then the treats begin. "maam, you realize that if the soldier recieves UCMJ punishment it will only hurt you and your childen"...yep this is true. They take rank, money and time from the abuser, which does hurt the family. These officials explain that if you continue to press charges, that the spouse can be discharged from military service. And then who will support you and the children. The end result being that the victim is punished finacially. They have a program that the media loves to talk about. The abused spouse program which pays the spouse for a certain amount of time, to relocate and get on their feet. What is NOT mentioned is that the only way to get this, is that the soldier has to be put out of the military, based on charges of spouse abuse. And this usually does not happen. They will use terms "failure to adapt","not following a lawful order" ect...anything other then abuse. Therefore most abused spouses do not qualify for the program. Most victims of spouse abuse end up chosing not to press charges, no matter what may have happened to them. The PRESSURE that is put on them by the officials, the threats of lack of financial support are so strong, that one ends up giving up. But, once a victim gives up, then it is really on. There will be no more documentation of this abuse. And in fact the abuser will then be treated as if they were falsely accused. The abuser will be treated as if they were the victim, persecuted by the spouse on trumped up charges. Or in the case of Special Forces Command, even if one wants to continue with enforcing the charges, they suddenly just dissappear. If the spouse has sought shelter away from the abuser, and the marriage is no longer intact, the results are worse. It makes no difference that the spouse was abused, that there were documented signs of abuse or even that a weapon was found.... The charges just go away...as if this did not happen. And the command will continue to support the abuser.And continue to claim that there is nothing to support any accusations that this soldier did abuse. WHY?? Because they "lost" the paperwork!!! This is a paper done by the Department of Defense back in 1996,and in 10 years with 9-11 and the war in Iraq, one can only imagine the increase in spouse abuse within the military. The problem is now, that it has become harder to find statistics. At least "good" statistics that have not been altered. ( http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/1996/s19960723-becraft.html) And imagine that none of these statistics even begin to address the issues of verbal and psychological abuse. Which has become more prevelaent. These soldiers have been trained in these areas. How many more deaths of abuse victims will it take??? How many more murders?? How much longer will victims of military spouse abuse be forced to shut their eyes and pretend as if it never happened?? And the question remains........Whose reality check bounced???

4 Comments:

Blogger myrak said...

I received an e-mail from Esther Tuiasosopo on April 30, 2007 in which she stated that there was a trial and that a doctor said her 5 month old daughter was premature at birth and that's she had blood in her brain and that toddler's leg was fractured, not broken. She further states that after 2 years, the 'case was dropped' and she was deployed to Iraq. {I never found any thing that verifies that there was a trial or the case was dropped.} Anyway, at her request, I am providing the above info.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was at Ft. Bragg and charged not convicted of Domestic Violence. I spent over $7000 of my own money just to prove the woman was lying. Nothing happened to her and what about my money? Never got it back, and they tried to kick me out of the military behind a lie. It hurt me financially and also ruined my military career. Where is the justice in that? So they do go after individuals but at the wrong time.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been married for 17 years to a soldier in the Army. We both marred young and our first duty station was in Germany away from family and friends with small kids. This is were my tormant begun. He isolated me there. I knew none of his friends or even were exactly his office was. Kept me home with our two small children while he hung out all times of the night. He would come home and curse and threaten me. Even tried to make my two small kids eat a entire cake that I baked, because they had gone in the refrigerater and pinched peaches out of it. The abuse started out as mostly mental abuse. I confided in someone there the things that were going on and they told me about the family advocacy. I reported it to them. They got the unit involved at it was just a slap on the wrist for him. But this made it worst for me at home, because now I had "put his business in the street".

Long story short..3 different duty stations later...the abuse continued...each time a little couseling here or there...making it worst for me each time. When we were stationed closer to my home I finally decided I had enough and the ARMY was not helping our family at all...I left I only could afford to move my kids in a low income neighborhood...thus lots of crime. I felt like I had moved from the pot into the fire....I stayed there for a year...and he said he wanted us to come join him at his next station...the same thing happens....the abuse became physical...the command got involved nothing happens to him...I feel like I am trapped in this marriage because I can not provide the type of environment that was safe for my kids...meanwhile I stress, blood pressure rises...I try to stay away from home as much as I can.. by working two jobs and going to school....finally after much verbal and physical abuse I found the courage to leave again...Still I was unable to move my kids to a "safe" environment, I could not afford to...but a peace of mind was want I needed...ended up coming back to him, I did not want my kids being brought up in a crime infested area. Now I am back with him...and still going through the same abuse...I now know why women stay in abusive relationships...when they try to leave and make better from themselves they find themselves in the projects...and if you work a little job making some money...you are unable to get assistance from the government...your struggle...you are afraid for your kids in your neighborhoods...

The military says they support the family...Huh..it's mission first at families expense....He has been through so many couselings..without no real disciplinary actions...and me and my children either stay with him or live in proverty and crime without him....

I really feel let down by the military......Don't get me wrong we have great benefits...a pretty decent quality of life...but what goes on behind clothes doors while the chains of command look away or cover up for the solider is why there is so many murders in the military....They have got to do right by the spouses.....

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dtr is married to a soldier and is home with me right now...a visit before she starts school...she confessed to me that she is being abused on so many levels...least of all him trying to kill her!!! He's so good at the convincing...u all know what i mean...that she was almost ready to go back and she broke down and told her sister and myself...i will not rest until the bastard is court marshalled...and prosecuted she is 19 years old adn still is confused about why ....and has endured more than she should have for 1 1/2 years...withholding money, choking her, punching her, pulling her hair, locking her out of the house in her underwear...she would have been lucky to live in a crime infested area as opposed to this kind of cruelty. Lady get ur kids out of that house....it doesnt get better---it will get worse...teach your kids that U are better than that leaving them with some kind of self worth or u will doom them to an example set by u that its ok......i am going to the post commander and i will not stop there...dont u give up...if u give up...u r giving him power which is what he seeks...get out..be poor...i am...but im gonna fight the bastard who tried to kill my child with every ounce of my being...somebody somewhere will listen and hear your voice...and mine..forget the $..save ur children from this monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home